The History of a Faith Community
January 22, 1954
One acre of land donated by Toccalino family for the site of a new parish in Bronte; an additional four acres were later purchased.
June 22, 1955
Bishop Joseph F. Ryan established Saint Dominic Parish and appointes Rev. Magnus W. Straus as the first pastor for the community of over 100 families.
July 1, 1955
First parish Mass celebrated in the Rectory basement chapel.
July 8, 1955
CWL established, Irene Dunnigan as president.
November 17, 1956
Parish Rectory completed
December 18, 1956
Saint Dominic School blessed by Bishop Ryan; Sister Eulalia Mane, principal.
November 17, 1961
Saint Joseph School blessed by Bishop Ryan; Sister Denise, principal.
November 25, 1961
First meeting of Saint Vincent de Paul Society; Herb Landry, president.
February 18, 1962
Laying of cornerstone of Saint Dominic Church by Rev. Straus.
February 26, 1962
Solemn blessing and official opening of Saint Dominic Church by Bishop Ryan.
Saint Ann School blessed by Bishop Ryan; Mary Moore, principal.
Georges Vanier School blessed by Bishop Paul Reding; Larry Loftus, principal.
January 18, 1968
Collapse of Parish Hall.
November 30, 1968
Rev. Ralph Diemert appointed pastor.
March 29, 1970
Bishop Ryan approved plans for new office facilities adjacent to Rectory.
November 26, 1973
Rev. Harry Schmuck appointed pastor.
October 20, 1976
First Parish Council Meeting; Barry Kay chair.
February 1, 1977
Sister Joanette Paleczny, SSND joined pastoral staff.
October 1, 1977
Rev. Paul Boucher appointed pastor
June 30, 1983
Rev. Stephen Bodnar appointed pastor.
November 15, 1989
Fr. Bodnar died suddenly.
February 10, 1990
New Parish Centre opened.
June 27, 1990
Rev. Murray J. Kroetsch appointed pastor.
December 8, 1991
Daily Mass Chapel opened.
August 30, 1993
Sister Joanette retired.
Saint Ann School closes; new Saint Dominic School is opened at the former Georges Vanier School.
Sanctuary renovations and new cross erected.
First of a series of trips to The Holy Land.
Rev. Victor W. McNamara, retired, in residence at Saint Dominic for what would be 15 years.
June 26, 2002
Rev. Roger W. Formosi appointed pastor.
Mariusz Durbajlo, seminarian, came for his pastoral internship; he was ordained transitional Deacon in 2004; in May 2005 was ordained to the holy priesthood for the Diocese of Hamilton.
New stain glass window installed on west side of church. It was dedicated and blessed on Pentecost Sunday, the scene it depicts. The donor is Mr. Joseph Aigner, President of Artistic Glass in Toronto. He is a former Saint Dominic Parishioner.
June 27, 2012
Rev. Kevin Cull appointed pastor.
June 26, 2013
Rev. Michael Anderson appointed pastor after acting as Administrator.
Rev. Ranjan D’Sa, OCD appointed pastor.
Michael Aguiar becomes the parish Youth Minister.
Solemn blessing of Saint Dominic Church by Bishop Joseph F. Ryan, February 26, 1962.
View of the west side of the church before the second Parish hall was built.
Stained glass window depicting the Descent of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost. It was installed in 2006 by former parishioner Mr. Joseph Aigner.
Our current pastor, Rev. Ranjan D’Sa, OCD, greeting parishioners outside after Sunday Mass.
Front of the church in 2020. In this picture, you can see the bronze statue of Saint Dominic as well as the stone driveway loop installed as part of the Radiating Our Faith project.